This image is only for reference.
Tulasi (Ocimum tenuiflorum) or Holy Basil is a sacred plant in Hindu belief.
Tulasi plant in the family of Lamiaceae which is native to the India.
This plant is cultivated for religious and medicinal purposes.
Most of the Hindu people are having this plant with special pots like brindavanam in their garden.
According to vastu , It should be keep in North, North-East direction in our homes.
Types of Tulasi :
We are commonly growing 2 types of Tulasi in India.
- Rama Tulasi – It has green leaves and stems.
- Krishna Tulasi – It has Purple colour leaves and stems.
Rama and Krishna Tulasi are used in the worship of Lord Krishna.
Care and Growing of Holy Basil Plant :
- Cutting off the faded leaves and flower stems monthly once then the leafy can grow healthy and bushy.
- Keep at least 4 hours of sunlight daily.
- Basil likes lots of moisture in the soil so need to water twice a day in summer, once in winter.
- Replace the soil every 6 months or one year , so the plant grows healthy.
- This is pest and disease free plant, suppose it seems poor condition of the plant some pests attacked like bugs , whiteflies that time we use organic pesticides or neem sprays.
Holy Basil Benifits :
- Basil has anti aging and therapeutic properties.
- It’s a stress reliever.
- It fights from cancer, fever and acne.
- This plant helps dental care and oral care.
- Basil prevents kidney stone and heart diseases
- It cures respiratory disorders.